We spend 57% of our waking time at work during a working life of 46 years. Why not make the best of it? Work at a place with fun people, great benefits, and do amazing work!
STAFF ASST for Master in Interdisciplinary Data Science
The staff assistant is responsible for supporting the planning, coordination, and administration of activities for the Master in Interdisciplinary Data Science (MIDS) Program at Duke University. Work will be both individual and team based. This position requires some evening and weekend availability. This position reports to the MIDS Associate Director for Administration and Student Affairs.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Event Planning and Coordination 25%
- Assist with event planning logistics for social events, technical workshops, and guest speakers. This includes but is not limited to: room reservations, catering, placing orders for event supplies including promotional materials, room setup, distribution of materials, creating attendance sheets and name tags, generating parking passes, meeting special guests, and cleanup.
- Determine staffing needs for events and programs. Provide event overview to staff in advance. Acquire volunteers in a timely manner, when needed.
- Monitor and evaluate the event planning process for large and small events. Recommend and implement modifications as needed.
General Administration 50%
- Respond to all MIDS mailbox emails and phone calls.
- Attend selected MIDS events, workshops, and sessions.
- Maintain records and scheduling of space/classrooms for workshops, seminars, meetings, etc.
- Coordinate A/V recording of classes and workshops with staff and IT team
- Process expense reports for all MIDS staff and events
- Coordinate and submit for approval all MIDS courses, times, and classroom schedules each semester with the Registrar’s office
- Schedule requested MIDS meetings
- Facilitate annual Capstone partnership outreach, including scheduling interviews between partnership organizations and MIDS faculty
- Facilitate annual admissions process, including scheduling of interviews between MIDS applicants and MIDS faculty
Student Support 25%
- Preparation of handouts, materials, etc. and dissemination of information regarding events and activities
- Maintenance and coordination of Sakai calendar with all MIDS student events.
- Supervise students during student-led events when needed.
- Support the development of a process to assess the academic needs of students.
- Recommend activities, events, programs, and speakers that will enhance the student academic experience.
- Track student progress towards program requirements.
Bachelor’s degree preferred. Work requires analytical, communications and organizational skills generally acquired through at least 1 year of directly related experience or education.
Successful candidates will demonstrate strong proficiency in the following areas:
- time management
- project management
- written and oral communication
- Emotional intelligence, particularly as it relates to working with, relating to, and empathizing with students
- Working in diverse, intercultural workspaces
- Microsoft Office with an emphasis on Word, Powerpoint, and Excel
The ideal candidate will be able to fluidly and professionally transition between graduate students, faculty, and staff. They will also have high attention to detail, be extremely systematic and organized, and will be able to learn new software and systems, as needed.
Apply here with Req code: 113922BR
Data Science Capstone Director - ANALYST, IT, SR
The Master in Interdisciplinary Data Science (MIDS) program, along with Duke Office of Information Technology is presently seeking a Data Science Capstone Director. Theintensive one-year long data science Capstone project is a defining characteristic of the MIDS experience. Each highly visible project involves at least one non-academic stakeholder and at least one Duke researcher. The MIDS team ensures that all agreed upon data products can be delivered to outside parties by the agreed upon milestones, while simultaneously working in an agile and iterative environment. To help students succeed, they participate in a year-long Capstone course that covers best practices in project management, stakeholder management, and change management, and that mentors students in how to apply their technical skills and what they have learned about ethics and design thinking to challenges that arise in their projects.
This position will direct all technical aspects of the MIDS Capstone program, and teach the Capstone course that accompanies it. As part of their position, they will scope all potential data science projects with partners to determine which projects are appropriate for MIDS Capstones, identify what types of outcomes will be most valuable to partners, cultivate long-lasting partnerships with external partners’ data science teams, form collaborations with research faculty, be responsible for evaluating the Capstone’s program’s success towards its learning objectives, and be responsible for designing and implementing process improvements that maximize the program’s success as measured by those objectives. The position will also provide robust technical oversight and consulting for Capstones in progress, teach technical workshops throughout the year that cover skills the students need to know, and run mid-year and final Capstone evaluation panels for each project. When not running Capstone projects, the position will be contribute meaningfully to data science projects related to MIDS, SSRI, and Duke overall. The position reports to the MIDS faculty director and will work as part of the MIDS program and SSRI team, but will be expected to function very independently and proactively.
Duties & work performed
- Run the Capstone program, including the recruitment and selection of partners, and matching of MIDS students to projects. Work with outside partners to define project goals, and translate those goals into formal agreements that incorporate strategies for iterative changes of project direction.
- Cultivate and maintain working relationships with Duke faculty who can provide specialized consulting for topics in Capstone projects that require specialized research expertise.
- Work closely with outside partners, Duke data security and legal teams, and staff to problem-solve data and legal challenges, and ensure requirements for Capstone projects are met.
- Teach and develop the curriculum for the year-long Capstone course, which coaches students in project management, agile methodology, design thinking, teamwork, and leadership skills.
- As part of the assignments for the Capstone course, develop a process for each Capstone project to follow throughout the year to ensure project is meeting milestones and will succeed.
- Develop success metrics and strategies for evaluating progress using those metrics.
- Teach and implement agile approaches that allow projects to adapt to results and changing stakeholder needs while still ensuring measurable progress.
- Develop and implement formative and summative Capstone course/program evaluation.
- Design, implement, and direct Capstone program improvements to maximize student learning outcomes.
- Identify gaps in the current MIDS curriculum that may limit the students' ability to succeed within a data science role in industry or academia. Ideate solutions to close the gaps.
- Recruit industry speakers to talk to MIDS students.
- Scope areas for growth for the Data Science community within Duke.
- Develop and teach technical workshops that cover data science technical and professional skills.
- Lead end-to-end solutions for a Data Science for Social Good initiative, or for data-driven strategic questions identified within MIDS, SSRI, and the university.
- Other Duties: The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. The position will be expected to take on other duties and special projects as assigned, and perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
This role requires exceptional professionalism, teamwork skills, sound judgement, the ability to coordinate detailed logistical planning, and strong verbal and communication skills. The position must be able to extract and articulate the needs of external partners efficiently, and be able to communicate technical topics to non-technical stakeholders and audiences effectively. A successful candidate will possess deep knowledge of project management tools like Confluence/Jira/Trello, organizational skills including attention to detail and multi-tasking skills, careful documentation practices, and a willingness to learn new software and technical tools as needed. A successful candidate will also demonstrate the ability to set strategies and make sound decisions independently, to work effectively under pressure, to meet deadlines, and to thrive in a fast-paced environment with changing situations.
Candidates who will be most successful in this role will be those who excel at developing their own visions of data science applications creatively and independently, and who are able to design and implement their own strategies for new ideas and initiatives while collaborating closely with others.
Qualified candidates will be given the opportunity to teach master-level elective courses in data science topics such as marketing analytics, people analytics, natural language processing, or cloud computing.
Required: BA or BS (Computer Science or related technical field) or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
Preferred: Master degree and/or Ph.D. in an applied quantitative field.
Experience & skills
Required: This role generally requires at least five years of experience in a data science role. It also requires programming competence in multiple languages, especially R, Python, and SQL, and facility working with multiple types of data architecture and processing environments. The role must be able to wrangle/extract/transform/load/clean/integrate multiple types of data, and bring together diverse data sets to solve problems in creative ways. The position will be expected to continue developing new technical skills and knowledge throughout their tenure to ensure Capstone and Duke data science projects employ cutting-edge tools and approaches, so they must be enthusiastic about life-long learning.
Apply here with Req code: 113682BR
For other employment opportunities at Duke, click here.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual’s age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.