Trinity Awards Honor 10 for Innovative Teaching, Advising & Leadership
Ten faculty members and advisers receiving Undergraduate Teaching, Leadership & Diversity Awards from the Trinity College of Arts & Sciences were honored at a reception April 11 in Perkins Library.
The awards are given annually by the dean’s office in recognition of exceptionally strong teachers working across the college. This year, Trinity’s Arts & Sciences Council led the nomination and selection process for several categories. One notable exception, the alumni teaching award, was decided by a committee of students.
“All honorees have gone beyond the call of duty as teachers, advisers, and all-around departmental, library, and campus citizens to make the academic and existential experience of our undergraduate students stronger and more inclusive.” -José María Rodríguez García
“The four categories into which the nine prizes may be classified – teaching, advising, diversity, and leadership – co-exist in an ecosystem of mutual support and presupposition,” said Council Chair José María Rodríguez García.
The 2018-2019 winners:
Distinguished Teaching Awards
- Susan Rodger, professor of the Practice, Computer Science – David and Janet Vaughn Brooks Award
- Kevin Welsher, assistant professor, Chemistry – Robert B. Cox Award
- D. Sunshine Hillygus, professor, Political Science – Howard D. Johnson Award
- Deborah Reisinger, associate professor of the practice, Romance Studies – Richard K. Lublin Award
- Marion Quirici, lecturing fellow, Thompson Writing Program – Award for Excellence in Teaching Writing
- Leonard White, associate professor, Psychology & Neuroscience – Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching Award
- Leadership: Antonio Viego, associate professor, Literature
- Diversity: Nayoung Aimee Kwon, associate professor, Asian and Middle Eastern Studies
Awards for Excellence in Advising
- David Malone, professor of the practice, Education
- Lee Sorensen, reference librarian, University Libraries
“These individuals epitomize the excellence we are committed to providing every day, both inside the classroom and beyond,” said Trinity Dean Valerie Ashby in a letter announcing the award winners.
Read more about this year’s recipients and see honorees from past years on the Trinity College website: https://trinity.duke.edu/faculty/award-winners.