PRDN User FAQs
Answers to the most commonly asked questions
PRDN VMs will undergo maintenance on Wednesdays from 3:00-7:00 am, 8 and 22 days after Microsoft's patch Tuesday. During maintenance windows VMs will be rebooted. If you have jobs that may cross the maintenance window you need to be aware of times the VM will reboot and write your code to tolerate interruptions.
1. A free academic license may be available to Duke students and faculty
- See the following site for eligibility and to obtain a license code:
2. To activate Tableau in the PRDN
- Click on the Desktop icon "Tableau Configuration - Run First.exe"
- Tableau will be configured and launch momentarily
- Once Tableau has launched choose "Activate" and enter your Product Key
VMs within the PRDN are not connected to the internet, however we do mirror a CRAN repository into the PRDN at the following address:
Windows VMs are automatically configured to point to Duke's CRAN
To install a CRAN package run the following commands from within R or RStudio:
Duke runs a version of GitLab inside of the protected networks for managing code and version control. To activate a GitLab account:
- Connect to your PRDN VM
- Connect (in a browser on the VM) to https://git-pn.oit.duke.edu
- Click on the "Sign in with Shibboleth" button and your account within GitLab will be created upon successful authentication
Removing data from the PRDN is contingent on a valid Data Use Agreement and appropriate access levels among other things.
As a manager…
- Log into the SSRI-Secure VPN context
- Copy the files from the PRDN to a shared server, Box, or other less secure storage area
As a researcher…
- Notify a study team member with Manager level access OR submit a ticket to SSRI IT to have the data downloaded from the PRDN
You must have Duke's VPN client installed to access resources from off campus:
- Install the VPN client from portal.duke.edu. OIT's instructions for installing VPN are here: https://oit.duke.edu/net-security/network/remote/vpn/
- Once you have the VPN software installed, click Connect.
- From the menu, select:
- Group: Default-MFA
- Username: NetID
- Password: NetID password
Multi-factor is required for all access to PRDN resources.
To enroll in Duke's multi factor authentication: