Research originates with a great question or idea, yet requires much more–such as testable hypotheses, useful data, coded interviews, statistical or spatial software, and the ability to interpret and disseminate findings.
Getting from great idea to feasible project can require dodging pitfalls, particularly for the novice researcher or for collaborative teams that apply a new method or tool.
SSRI is here to help! Our Connection Bar offers a consulting service staffed by advanced graduate students and postdoctoral fellows, who are on call from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday during the academic year, and available to consult on all stages of the research process. Connection Bar staffers can offer quick advice on such topics as:
- Model development and hypothesis specification
- Duke data resources
- Crafting and conducting surveys and interviews
- Qualtrics survey software
- Common statistical procedures, such as frequencies, crosstabs, OLS and logistic regression
- Common statistical software, including R, SPSS, Stata and SAS
- Content analysis, ethnography and coding of textual information
- NVivo qualitative software
They can also help Duke scholars connect with more specialized expertise when needed.
The Connection is a place to get research help. It's also a place to work (great coffee is available!) and, yes, to connect with other scholars. Drop by our space when you need a quiet yet vibrant place to work, get help with a software question or to learn more about how we can assist you in moving from “great idea!” to “fascinating findings!”